A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads | Leafmarks

Adorkable

Adorkable - Sarra Manning

To be honest with you, the only reason why I bought this book was because I liked the cover and the summary on the back sounded interesting. But I'm glad I did, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

If there is one way to sum up Jeane Smith it would be tumblr. Just imagine what tumblr would be like if it was a person and you've got Jeane Smith. She's not afraid to stand up to people or to put it how it is. She's strong, fearless, a little crazy, and hella lonely.

And I just really liked her. I mean sure, I was annoyed that she kept shaming people for wearing and looking how they wanted and for shoving her idea of cool down peoples throats, but that changed in the end.

I liked Jeane's sarcasm and her unapologetic attitude, she said what she thought and if someone didn't like it then it really wasn't her problem and I loved that. She didn't back down from her beliefs and she didn't care what people thought of her. She was called ugly so many times but she didn't let that bother her one bit because she liked how she dressed because it made her happy. And you don't see such outspoken female characters in young adult novels these days so Jeane was a treat for me.

She and Michael had a little bit of a weird relationship to be perfectly honest with you. The two of them were just all about hurling insults at each other, but I guess that's just how their relationship worked, and they were cool with that (you know, until that screaming match in New York).

One of my favourite things about Jeane was that despite how headstrong and loud she was, she was still human, and you got to see that in the end. You got to see Jeane's vulnerability and she fully acknowledges that she's lonely and enjoys being a part of family (just not her own).

Michael was okay, he was kind of a huge asshole, and then by the end of the story he's less of a huge asshole but I guess that was his appeal to Jeane. He wasn't a total failure, he was there for her when no one else was and no matter how angry he got with Jeane, he still stuck around to make sure that she was okay.

My biggest issue with the novel is the fact that the voices of Michael and Jeane aren't easy to tell apart. Sometimes I would open the book and start reading, and I wouldn't have been able to tell whose point of view the story was being told from because Jeane and Michael sounded so similar.

But all in all, I enjoyed it, and I thought it was interesting.