A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads

Revenge, Ice-cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold

Revenge, Ice Cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold (A Broken Hearts & Revenge Novel) - Katie Finn

Okay, we need to talk about this book.

Because what in the fuck.

To clarify I haven't read the first book but I think the events that happened in the first book were referred to relatively frequently to the point that I basically got the gist of what happened in the end without the nasty details of everything that this bitch Hallie did.

I didn't think I'd end up liking this as much as I would like I was at a solid three stars mostly because the beginning, while not boring, did take some time to build up and get to the good stuff but when it did get to the good stuff HOLY SHIT. This was teenage girl drama but to the extreme, should anything along this line ever happen in real life I would be sincerely concerned for the mental stability of the individuals involved.

I'm going to start off with Gemma because I don't have much to say about her and while I didn't hate her, I did get just a tad bit irritated with her.

Because this girl is fucking stupid. As shit. So stupid. I literally cannot even comprehend the level of cluelessness she expresses throughout this book.

For the first half of this book I couldn't go more than a few pages without Gemma saying, "I didn't understand half of what she said," over the most basic, easy to understand concepts. Like you didn't even have to be especially gifted to understand all of the things that she didn't understand, you just have to have graduated from the 12th grade. And I was like there is just no way, there has to be some sort of exaggeration on her part, there is no way that this girl knows this little.

But as you keep reading you realize, oh but she is this clueless.

And this is what made the plot twists less shocking than they actually were, like half of the things that she realizes near the end of the book, you have figured out before you hit the halfway mark. And she out here acting all shocked

And I'm just here like .... girl are you actually stupid. And maybe you're thinking oh but you're just good at figuring things out, I'm here to tell you no. nonononononono. I'm terrible at figuring things out which is why mysteries are always such a wild ride for me because I literally never put two and two together.

But when your hints are blunt enough that even I figured it out then you either did a really bad job of hiding the hints or your main character is stupid.

Gemma is just stupid.

But total obliviousness aside, I didn't hate her. I actually really liked her, she had really changed by the end of the novel and I appreciate that character growth that she went through and realized that hey maybe it's a good idea to stop acting like I'm 12. Although to be fair it was because Hallie was fucking crazy and it was kill or be killed so she really didn't have much of a choice.

But one more thing that I want to touch upon before we get into the mess that is Hallie.

The biggest thing that I liked about Gemma's growth was her realization that TEDDY AIN'T SHIT BITCH. Like the little details her friends brought up about the way she used to be with Teddy and the increasing level of "ew what the fuck why was I like that" that she experienced throughout the book as she realized how incapable of thinking for herself and being on her own she was when she had been with Teddy. So yeah, I think Gemma came out a better person at the end of this book and I'm really excited to see what happens in the third one.

But moving on to Hallie. This bitch is crazy, this is like the third time that I've said this but for real this bitch is fucking crazy. Like I seriously think she needs to go in for psychiatric evaluation because she is just ... really unstable. And creepy.

This girl is literally so hung up over some ruined birthday party from when she was eleven that this bitch spent like 4 fucking years building up to the destruction of Gemma.

Over a birthday party.

Just let that sink in.

Gemma like changed the date of the party so that no one showed up on the day that it actually was and this bitch Hallie held a vendetta for like 4 fucking years and spent all that time plotting to get back at Hallie over a birthday party.

As somebody who has had this happen to them in like elementary (not the having the date changed thing, people just didn't work out because I didn't realize how invitations worked in Canada but anyway moving on that's a different story), it's literally not that big of a deal like let it go and move on. What kind of eleven year old has the time and energy to spend doing this shit like last I remember when I was eleven everyone was like losing their shit over tamagatchi's or those little pooh bears in the different outfits.

And it's not like Gemma wasn't sorry like she tried to make things right and from what I understand, not in the best way possible but she did try and this girl Hallie was just determined to spit in her face over it damn.

And Gemma is like maybe I should get a restraining order LIKE NO DUH SHE PUT FUCKING SPYWARE ON YOUR BEST FRIEND'S PHONE A RESTRAINING ORDER IS LONG OVER DO THIS IS LIKE A FUCKING CRIME.

She almost gets Gemma arrested, she gets Gemma fired, she ruins all of Gemma's relationships and for what? A birthday party.

I'm just ... I have no words, there are no words to describe my level of shock as this dumbassery.

But I will say this, it was pretty creative like you never really think about how important a birthday can be until you read this book.

And to end off, if Ford and Gemma do not get together in the third book I'm going to riot, I'm going to set fire to ... idk maybe a napkin I don't wanna burn my books or anything. But they better get together, my boy Ford is so kind and lovely and insanely smart and so sweet I want him to be happy and I want someone to adore him as much as he adores Gemma. He is too good for this world and a true hoe, not even asking any questions before he goes hacking to find evidence for Gemma.

I think I'll end there, my adrenaline has finally stopped pumping.

Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners)
Libba Bray