A Bookworms Bookshelf

I have a book hoarding problem, they're pretty much taking over my entire house. Sometimes, when I'm not drowning in uni work I manage to actually read them. And when I do finish them, I usually have some pretty strong feelings related to them and y'all are gonna hear about it.

You may see the occasional gif to give more accurate representation of my thoughts.

Goodreads

Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland - Gena Showalter

Let me start out by saying that this is not the most well-written to exist out there. I'm pretty sure this came out during that period where the Twilight craze was still a thing and everyone was all on board for characterizing their male leads like Edward Cullen for some odd reason instead of maybe taking more inspiration from J. K. Rowling rather than Stephanie Meyer.

But damn it I enjoyed this.

To start off, while Cole had the personality traits of literally every alpha male lead to ever exist in romance, I really didn't mind him. Don't get me wrong, the dude was demanding and commanding as fuck, he was ridiculously territorial and jealous (which I guess is seen as a desirable trait judging by the kinds of memes I've been seeing), and unnecessarily aggressive. But you know what I appreciate, the fact that he understands that no means no, that you don't take advantage of someone while they're drunk because it's, ya know, rape. I appreciate the fact that in every makeout scene that took place, he checked with Alice to make sure that she was okay with what was happening, he checked during their makeout to make sure she was still gung-ho about what they were doing. I loved that he encouraged her to stick by her principle's and belief's and to not let anyone change them.

Because you honestly don't get to see that a lot of times in YA novels and it's just nice to see consent being emphasized.

Cole was also incredibly kind and caring, and I guess he kind of earned the right to be that controlling (at least in the appropriate situation) because of his experience.

I appreciated that Alice stood up to him and Kenzie and told them that they couldn't boss her around ... even though she ended up doing whatever Cole wanted anyways. Don't get me wrong, she did stand up to him in lots of situations and refused to give in to whatever Cole wanted.

But this girl was also so hormonal that it actually didn't happen all that often. In the situations involving zombies I guess it made sense that she gave in to whatever Cole said because, as I mentioned, he is the experienced one here. But other times I was kind of like girl, come on. We're all hormonal here but don't let your ovaries do the talking sis.

Still, I appreciate that she was at least noisy and upfront about all of the negative mentioned traits above.

And I liked how loyal she was to Kat and stood by her even when the rest of Kat's friends basically abandoned her because of Frosty, even though she was kind of terrible at actually being there for Kat. Don't get me wrong, Alice's intentions with Kat were always wholesome and she really did love Kat, but more often than not she was all bark and no bite. I hope that she becomes a better friend to Kat in the rest of the books.

Lastly, I loved that this girl was so kickass, yeah she was kind of a pushover when it came to Cole because girlie wanted to bang, but when it came time for business, she could kick some serious ass.

And to move on, I loved Kat, I loved her confidence, I loved that she stood by her decisions and that she made sure everyone knew she was confident and that they couldn't put her down. I loved that she knew that she had good qualities about her and that she was worthy of love and capable of making good decisions. I just really loved her confidence, you don't always get to see that kind of confidence in characters. And you know what, it wasn't irritating, it didn't come off as cocky and annoying, you could just tell that Kat felt good about herself, and I don't know how, but it made me happy and made me feel good about myself.

Oh, and in case you didn't get it from just about every other review, but this definitely not an Alice in Wonderland retelling despite what all the signs may be pointing towards.

Bright We Burn (And I Darken)
Kiersten White