A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

I was eleven pages into this book and I was already suffocating on the metaphors. The majority of them were completely unnecessary and I don't even know why they were there. My favourite one had to be the one about the rain drops.

I called up my best friend so that I could read to her how absolutely ridiculous this book was and every time that I found one of these metaphors, I'd read it out loud to her. Her response to each and every one of them varied between "What the hell?" and "That was deep."

And the punctuation got on my nerves as well. I'm not the best when it comes to using commas, but even I could tell that there were places where they were missing.

Characters

Juliette- Juliette was just the most annoying and weak thing. I got that she didn't want to hurt people, really, I did but still, you've got the power to injure people and you're not going to use it bust out of your prison cell? Admittedly, she wouldn't have gotten very far because even with the ability to harm people she's still weak and stupid.

And I still don't understand what was up with the use of all these metaphors and why exactly they were necessary. I also don't understand why everything kept being repeated. I got it the first time, I don't need you to tell me exactly how hot hot hot you are.

Adam -Meh, I didn't really care about Adam, I don't really have an opinion on him. The only thing that pissed me off was that he could touch Juliette. The story would've been loads better if the love interest couldn't touch the girl and was normal like everyone else.

Kenji- I'm okay with the fact that he flirted with Juliette but he's the only character in this book that I don't want to kick in the face.

The villain -whose name I can't be bothered to remember because he just sucks that much- is stupid. There were times when he was actually evil (putting the child in the room with Juliette and forcing her to touch him) and then there were times where he wasn't.

And of course, there's the 'I love you.' Why is it that every novel seems to have 'I love you' in it? Why isn't there a novel out there that's like 'I really like you and I want to date you.'

There's also the fact that it was extremely slow. Practically nothing of interest happened throughout this entire book. The whole thing was basically about Juliette busting out of prison and getting away. I'd be all okay with the escape if it wasn't all so dull. The entire time I kept thinking "oh look, they broke out," "oh look, there's a tank." "that's nice, Adam has a brother."

By the end of the book, what I had basically learned was that there were a bunch of superhumans hidden from the villain (whose name I still can't remember) and Juliette still kills people every time she touches them. Fingers crossed that Unravel Me is better than this one.