A Bookworms Bookshelf

I have a book hoarding problem, they're pretty much taking over my entire house. Sometimes, when I'm not drowning in uni work I manage to actually read them. And when I do finish them, I usually have some pretty strong feelings related to them and y'all are gonna hear about it.

You may see the occasional gif to give more accurate representation of my thoughts.

Goodreads

The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler

I was so hyped for this book because with a title like that you've just GOT to have a really good story go with it, right? And I was kind of disappointed.

First off, y'all I just really don't think I'm in the proper mindset to fully enjoy books that handle topics like this (weight bias, fatphobia, rape etc.) and I think that's what's influencing the next thing I'm going to say: if you've read one book through the perspective of a fat girl, or on depression etc., you've read them all.

Which sounds really harsh but let me explain things. Mental illness manifests itself in people in different ways, it shows itself in behaviours that we wouldn't even consider as being a symptom of a bigger problem unless we were talking to a professional. So then explain to me why we see the same thing being represented in literature over and over and over and over again. It's the same internal dialogue and behaviour when we know that it looks different in every person.

"But these authors aren't experts, they don't have knowledge on this stuff."

THEN TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL AND LEARN. If you're gonna publish a book about the topic, it's your job to do your research!!!!!!

But anyways, moving onto the actual content. There wasn't anything bad about the book in all honesty, it's just, I've read the exact same character in at least a dozen other books. I will say, for someone who's mother is a psychologist, Virginia's mom is unbelievably stupid and clueless. How do you go all the way through your PhD and learn absolutely nothing about eating disorders, or orthorexia etc.?

What I did appreciate about the book was the character development that Virginia had in the last few pages of the book as she finally realized that it didn't matter what anyone else thought about her and that she didn't need to be trying to get the approval of her parents when they did nothing but mistreat her.

I think the last few pages were really good in terms of showing what being confident in your own body can do for you and for the relationships around you and not giving a shit about other people.

But yeah, long story short, it was decent but nothing special.

The Hundred-Foot Journey
Richard C. Morais
The Scorpio Races
Maggie Stiefvater
The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes Novel)
Brittany Cavallaro