A Bookworms Bookshelf

I have a book hoarding problem, they're pretty much taking over my entire house. Sometimes, when I'm not drowning in uni work I manage to actually read them. And when I do finish them, I usually have some pretty strong feelings related to them and y'all are gonna hear about it.

You may see the occasional gif to give more accurate representation of my thoughts.

Goodreads

Beautiful

Beautiful - Amy Reed

This book made me feel bad for the kind of negative review that I gave the last book I read because in comparison to this raging dumpster fire, the last book was straight Shakespeare. I actually kind of miss reading The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things.

I just,,,,,,I don't even know where to start with this. It's just,,,,,,,,so bad.

I guess let's start with the characters??????? I think the one thing that's really standing out to me in this book that there is no explanation for why Cassie does the things that she goes. Right off the bat, the first things she does at her new school is get involved with the fucked up kids and it's never really explained why. There's absolutely no backstory to explain away any of what she is feeling or doing. Like why? Why is she doing all of this stuff? Why is the first thing that she does is do acid and have sex with boys way older than her? Why does this 13-year-old act like she's 25?

Why. Why. Why. Why.

We never learn. The rest of the characters weren't even worth mentioning because they all had one personality trait and it was the same trait.

The plot????? There wasn't even a plot to begin with, nothing gets really solved in the end, it just kind of ends with the death of Sarah. I would feel bad for spoiling it but this book isn't good and I don't want anyone to put themselves through the torture of reading this. But seriously, there was no plot. It was horrible. It's just Cassie doing messed up things for seemingly no reason. Is that what kids are like these days? They weren't this way when I was this age but maybe I just wasn't in with that crowd of people and I didn't know. Anyways the stuff that happens is absolutely buck fucking wild.

Literally the first 30 pages into this book the main character is on acid and is getting fingered by some guy who's 17????? And then it just spirals from there and she's doing coke and Ritalin (which alarms me even more after what I learned in class about it) and sleeping pills. I think she stopped just short of heroin?

I didn't even like the writing style of this there was just nothing to like. Literally why does this fucking book exist, whomst at Simon and Schuster read this manuscript and was like we should definitely publish this? Who, I wanna know. No offense to the author but what on earth could have compelled her to fucking write this absolute dumpster fire of a "novel"?

I know I read some of her other books but I'm frankly surprised at the high rating I gave them since the content was pretty similar to this book and I'm tempted to revisit them and see if I feel any differently but I'm also too scared to go back.

I was way too harsh on the last book I read.

The Hundred-Foot Journey
Richard C. Morais
The Scorpio Races
Maggie Stiefvater
The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes Novel)
Brittany Cavallaro