A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads

Dreamless

Dreamless - Josephine Angelini

Originally I wasn't going to bother writing a review but page 258 pissed me off too much. This will seem like an unorganized mess but that's because I was taking notes while I was reading and I haven't had time to put everything into groups.

Lucas has turned female. It's the only way that I can put it. I'm treated to passages of him thinking about how beautiful and perfect Helen is.

Lucas, does it really look like I care about Helen's appearance or how perfect and beautiful you think she is? It's been mentioned before, the last thing I need is for you to point it out even more.

Helen decides that she's done taking Lucas's shit and I was about to start cheering because finally Helen was gaining a backbone but I was wrong. Apparently her version of not taking Lucas's crap anymore is putting up with some more of it.

He constantly tells her to stay away but he follows her everywhere, literally everywhere. He's in her house, he watches Helen sleep and then he somehow finds a way into the Underworld. Lucas is like the cousin of Edward Cullen at this point.

If there's one thing that I don't understand is Jeremy and Kate. They serve absolutely no purpose to the story and they're not even there half of the time. What kind of parent is Jeremy! There's literally no point to him existing in this series at all. Helen might as well be twenty-five and living by herself at this point.

At first Jeremy at least tried to talk to Helen and be a good father but now he just no longer cares. You'd think he'd be worried about his daughter but the most he's done during this entire book is shove her with food and fix her window, that's it.

He should take Helen to a chair and demand that she tell him everything that's been happening and why she's never home. I realise that Helen is stronger than Jeremy ever could be but she doesn't want to fight so much that she wouldn't even try to get past him by force.

The writing is still as dry as ever, nothing has changed there and at this rate, nothing will.

What pissed me off though about this book is that Science got brought into this. I'm not going to claim to be a genius at Science but I'm pretty sure that if you were floating so high above the earth that you could see it spinning and you weren't properly equipped, you would die. You would be struggling to breathe because there's very little oxygen and you'd freeze.

Not Helen and Lucas apparently, they can just go up wearing shorts and jackets and be perfectly because they're demigods and watch the earth spin below them and that explains everything. Screw logic, who needs it.

But maybe I'm just stupid and you really can float above the earth and watch it spin while being perfectly fine.

Hector is the only reason to read this series and that's because he doesn't take any of Helen's shit. Now that you know that, this book was even suckier because there was very little Hector in it.

And onto Helen again. Is she stupid or something? What was she doing all of those times that Hector beat the absolute shit out of her? I thought she'd at least learned something out of those beatings. Instead, Helen has no idea how to fight at all and relies on her bolts more than anything else.

Seriously, was she not paying attention or something? Like seriously Helen

wtf

I guess she's just going to get her ass handed to her for the rest of the series.

Moving on to the fact that absolutely nothing happened during this book. It was literally 487 pages of Helen going into the Underworld and trying to get out, that's it. The last few pages were the only time that something exciting happened.

Lucas is just an asshole, his family is trying to help him out and tell him that he can't be with Helen and he decides to just flip out because he can't have his way and starts acting like an angsty teenager. We learn later on though that it's because he's a Shadowmaster and that's why.

Clearly being a Shadowmaster gives you the right to flip out at your family, treat the girl you supposedly love like shit and punch your dad in the face.

ew no

Helen likes to put herself in danger. I don't know why, maybe she likes the possibility of dying. She and Hades could be best friends. Instead of letting people who actually know how to fight and not be totally useless handle the Myrmidon problem, she decides to do it. She can't fight hand to hand but who cares, this is Helen and she can do whatever she wants.

"I know it's going to be hard for you to accept this, but both your father and Kate will be safer if you keep your distance from now on."

No problem, they're not there anyway and when they are, Helen runs away.

Lucas also likes to be melodramatic. What is up with this kid? Like seriously? I get that your life is shit but really, you can't take the stairs and walk out your front door, you've gotta jump out a window so you can have a dramatic exit?

Let me sum up Lucas for you

I was hoping that Helen would die in this so much. I got so excited to hear that she'd probably die that I powered through the rest of the novel. She did come close to dying as well when Ares was torturing her. I almost started cheering because we would finally be rid of Helen but sadly she somehow survived.

Unfortunately.

One thing that I didn't understand was why it took Helen so long to find the Furies. I mean, she figured out how the Underworld works so why didn't she just ask to see the Furies once she realised what she could do? I had to read through a bunch of chapters just to come to the part where Helen finds out that she can just ask to be taken to the Furies.

I also found it kind of funny how she got banned from the Underworld. Like really, you walk into Persephone's garden, offer to break her out and expect Hades to just be totally okay with that? What did she think was going to happen?

I don't even care about Orion enough to write anything about him. I realise I'm being really bitchy about this and I'd apologise but I don't want to.

There were so many beautiful stupid gifs out there for me to use but I had to restrain myself and not use each and every single one of them.