A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads | Leafmarks

The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne Book #1) - Robert Ludlum

I never thought that I would ever say this, but I honestly preferred the movie more than the book, at least I could follow the movie and understand what was going on. I found myself lost while reading . . . but then again, I wasn't focusing all that hard so that could be why.

This series is probably going to be the only time that I like the fact that the movie just about completely redid the story line.

Maybe it was because I basically zoned out during major parts of this book, or maybe it was the fact that everything just went in one ear and out the other, for whatever reason, this book didn't make much sense to me.

There were all of these twists and turns that made sense in the end, especially when they were explained through everyone else's point of view. There were parts of the book where I was just kind of like

And other times where my thought process was kind of like

And at some point, things got repetitive to the point where I was beginning to think that Jason was just a complete and total idiot.

"Cain is for Charlie and Delta is for Cain."

Yes, I get it, after it being repeated a bunch load of times, I get that Cain is for Charlie and Delta is for Cain. Please stop repeating it. It's clearly not making sense for Jason so what makes you think its going to make sense for me?

I didn't understand why Jason kept repeating it though, if he's so worried about forgetting it, why doesn't he just write it down and carry it with him in a safe place? I know the guy has amnesia and I don't claim to be an expert on amnesia and how it works but I'm fairly certain that Jason was not going to start experiencing some more memory loss.

"Get Carlos. Trap Carlos."

I zoned out while reading this part so this will probably be the reason for what I'm about to say, but I'm not even sure how we got to Carlos anymore.

And what was with the romance between Jason and Marie. They were together for about eight days before the I love you's started popping up. Sure, by the end of the book I would've been okay with it, after all, Jason and Marie went through so much stuff together I wouldn't be surprised if they developed feelings for each other but really, eight days?

And then there was the matter of description, some of it didn't even make any sense. I felt like some of it was just there because it looked pretty and sounded important. And then there was just unnecessary purple prose.

Take this for example:

The powdered mask was cracked with lines of venom now, the bright red lipstick defining the snarl of an aging, cornered rodent.

Would it have been so difficult to just say that this woman wanted to put a knife in Jason's face and rip his throat out?

I feel disappointed, I expected something better and more exciting and instead I got something that I dreaded reading at times but I read anyway because I wanted to finish it.