A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads | Leafmarks

Geek Girl

Geek Girl - Holly Smale

Okay, I'm going to apologize in advance, I've gotten so used to reading books that are really bad by my standards that giving praise to a book has become a little bit foreign to me so I apologise if this isn't my best.

Anyway . . .

I actually really enjoyed reading this book. I mean, I had a feeling that I would because of the cover (yes, I judge books by their cover) bug I was still surprised by the story.

I absolutely loved Harriet, she seemed like exactly the kind of person that I would hang around with. She was so full of interesting facts and I learned new things the longer that I kept reading. I mean, they were random facts that probably won't help me in life but still, they were interesting facts. You could really relate to Harriet and the way that she was treated by everyone. Stuff like that still happens these days.

One of the things that I really understood about Harriet was that list of hers that she had with the names of the people that she thought hated her. I understand how it can feel like the people that you care about can hate you, it's really easy to dislike yourself and to think that everyone else dislikes you as well.

The moment that really made me feel sorry for her was when her entire English class raised their hand and she thought that everyone hated her. I almost started crying, I really did. Annabeth (or is it Annabelle?) gave Harriet some really good advice, the only reason that everyone in that class raised their hand was because they were afraid of Alexis, not because they actually disliked her.

You go Annabeth (Annabelle?)! Four for you Annabelle (I'm just going to assume this is her name).

I loved Nick, he was so cute and so sweet. He's just one of those characters that you wish was a real life person because you just love them that much. He was so sweet around Harriet and he didn't make fun of her and he found her cool instead of weird. I just want to give Nick a huge hug. He was such a sweetheart.

Toby was one of my favourite characters as well. At first I found him really annoying but the more that you kept reading the more that you saw exactly how much he cared about Harriet in his one stalkerish way. He'd been looking out for Harriet throughout the entire novel and she didn't even know that it was Toby who was doing all of that. In fact, everyone in this book was looking out for Harriet and she didn't even notice it.

I love how Harriet didn't even blink whenever she found Toby stalking her, she just expected him to always be there no matter what because he refused to go away.

The only thing that I had a problem with was Harriet's parents. Sometimes they acted like parents and sometime's they didn't. More often than not Annabelle and Harriet's dad (whose name has escaped me) acted like little children. It made it a little bit hard to take the two of them seriously at times. It was so surprising to find out that Annabelle was a lawyer because she acted almost nothing like a lawyer.

Harrriet's parents did some good advice though, as silly as they could be, they were really wise and they really did help Harriet out. Especially Annabelle, she was really helpful when Harriet thought that everyone hated her.

It was nice to see an author's interpretation of what the modeling world must be like especially for a geek who has a habit of being really really clumsy. Seriously, I feel really bad for Harriet and her ability to screw up things that you thought you really couldn't screw up.

All in all, I like this story, it was fun, it was light and fluffy and funny and the characters were relatable for the most part.

Redburn/White-Jacket/Moby-Dick (Library of America #9)
Herman Melville, G. Thomas Melerlle, G. Thomas Tanselle