A Bookworms Bookshelf

I read a lot, like most people that must be on this site, and much by accident, this blog came to life and now here I am, creating this blog. I'm also on a bunch of other sites as well so you can find me on them by clicking the links.

I like to use gifs a lot because they represent my feelings towards books a lot. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a result, I view books a little bit differently than how I used to.

Twitter | Goodreads | Leafmarks

Model Misfit

Model Misfit - Holly Smale

The beginning of this book had me fooled. Harriet sounded so sure of herself and so professional. She sounded like someone who had really gotten the hang of the modeling world in a really short period of time. I was asking myself how many modeling jobs Harriet had actually done to get to this spot.

Turns out, Harriet hasn't changed one bit and she still doesn't know how to handle the modeling world. I was so happy that version of Harriet came back. That's the version of Harriet that I love, the clumsy, awkward, full-of-facts Harriet.

Harriet gets flown to Japan for the summer and it sounds all dandy until her grandmother just ditches her in a land that she doesn't know. I'll admit, I was worried about Harriet, I thought she might accidentally end up lost or unintentionally insult someone what with her track record and things. Thankfully she found her way to the right place at the right time.

As soon as I met Harriet's roommates, I knew one of them was going to back stab her, I just knew it. She had the job that every single model wanted, one of them was going to stab her in the back and I just knew it. I was right too, it ended up being that girl who I think had blonde hair but I forget her name.

I have to admit, as silly as Harriet's parents and entourage can be, those guys bring out the guns when someone messes with their Harriet Manners. They don't take no shit when it comes to Harriet.

You really feel bad for Harriet in this novel because just when she thinks that everything is going okay, she messes up in a major way and her employer ends up getting mad at her (for the life of me I can't remember her name Sweet Jesus). Not to mention that she thought her parents didn't want her around anymore and were using the trip to Japan as a reason to get Harriet out of the house. I expected her to get fired at any moment but Harriet made it to the end of the book before she got fired for good. This is where we find out that one of Harriet's flat mates was sabotaging her the entire time. It wasn't the Japanese girl, she's sweet as pie.

At that point I was just about jumping around yelling that I had known it all along. Really, who couldn't see that coming? The parts that definitely got the most emotion out of me were the parts with Nick involved. I just felt like raging about him every time that he showed up because I thought that he had left Harriet.

In the end it just turned out that it was a misunderstanding and he had never dumped her at all, Harriet had just assumed that Nick had. And of course, Toby was there as well, he helped to save the day. I am seriously in awe at the lengths that this boy will go to to stalk Harriet. But hey, at least everyone in the novel acknowledges the fact that Toby is a stalker instead of trying to cover it up.

Redburn/White-Jacket/Moby-Dick (Library of America #9)
Herman Melville, G. Thomas Melerlle, G. Thomas Tanselle